January 7, 2013

Kale Chips?



I've recently begun to try my hand at gardening, in hopes of learning to grow as much of my own food as I can. This pretty kale was calling my name from its place in the soil.




I keep hearing about how amazing kale chips are. However, since I harvested some of my kale rather young, I'm not sure my version should be called chips. It's more like roasted kale leaves.

And these leaves taste amazing. They fool my mouth into thinking they're potato chips while delivering major nutrition to the rest of my body. They pack in fiber, iron, calcium, antioxidants, and vitamins A, C, and K. Kale chips/roasted kale leaves are a win-win situation.

I used this recipe from allrecipes.com, with the exception of tearing the leaves into bite-sized pieces. My baby kale leaves were already bite-sized.

I tossed them with olive oil to coat them very lightly, then laid them on a foil-covered baking pan.


Next they needed a sprinkle of seasoning salt and garlic powder. (I'm hoping to get more creative with the seasonings next time.)


Then they baked at 350° for exactly ten minutes.

On one occasion when I made them, I flipped the leaves over half-way through the baking time. I didn't see any benefit from adding that step. They were just as crispy and evenly baked without turning them over. However, they have never turned out to be pretty. When they come out of the oven, they're all brown and some of them have folded over on themselves.



But once I pop one into my mouth, I forget that it's a wrinkly little green and brown leaf I'm crunching on. I think it's a nutty, super-thin potato chip, dusted with my favorite seasonings.



A very, very healthy potato chip I plucked from my garden just a half-hour earlier.


1 comment:

  1. I have made kale chips and even my kids loved them!

    ReplyDelete