October 14, 2014

Away {31 Days of Five-Minute Free Writes}

Two of my greatest desires in this life are for purpose and peace.

While there is magnificent purpose in living in the imago Dei, there are earthly obstacles. There’s friction along the path of glorifying God and enjoying Him. I feel I will never be able to do so wholeheartedly, with no reservations, no hesitations, until I’m somewhere else. Somewhere Other.

Somewhere Away.

While there is great peace in Christ, I don’t walk in that peace in every single moment. I forget Who He is, I lose that peace, and I need to be reminded again. Even in my most peaceful moments, potential anxieties tug at the back corners of my mind. I don’t think I’ll ever fully realize the peace I long for while I’m flesh-bound. I wasn't meant to find it here.

I’ll find it somewhere else. Away.

In Mere Christianity, C.S. Lewis had something to say about the Away I long for.

“If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”




This post is part of 31 Days of Five-Minute Free Writes, an exercise in writing a timed, prompted post every day during the month of October. For me, it's a challenge to move beyond prideful perfectionism, to write more freely, and to share more openly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment