October 9, 2014

Join {31 Days of Five-Minute Free Writes}

photo by Candace Williamson
We have this huge framed photograph hanging in our living room— our two hands joined together on our wedding day.

You can see the edge of my white dress and his black vest. There’s a scarlet church door behind us. But there are no faces, no feet, no hair, no veil. Just our two hands tightly clasped.

I look at that picture often. I’ve gazed on it in good times and thought sweetly of the friendship it symbolizes. I've glanced at it as I passed by on mundane days, and remembered the permanent promises we made. I’ve glared at it in more strained moments and hesitatingly accepted its reminder; we are joined, he and I.

Not just our hands. Our lives.

We are as joined together as my own pair of hands, the same flesh in complementary partnership.




This post is part of 31 Days of Five-Minute Free Writes, an exercise in writing a timed, prompted post every day during the month of October. For me, it's a challenge to move beyond prideful perfectionism, to write more freely, and to share more openly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment