October 12, 2014

Rest {31 Days of Five-Minute Free Writes}

Scripture abounds with rest. Have you noticed that?

Yes, there are admonitions to work hard, to worship, to fight the good fight. There are also words about rest.

This theme has been cropping up in my Bible study. Finding rest in God is a motif repeated in the Old and New Testaments. It’s beautiful. I still have delving to do as I study the topic, but I've made a few observations about resting in God.

Resting in Him isn’t napping while the world deteriorates around you. It isn’t burying your head in the sand and ignoring the work that must be done.

It’s a state of the heart that is attainable in quiet reprieve or the buzz of commotion.

It’s the sense of peace I find when my mind stops racing to figure things out, because I trust that He’s got the solution. I don’t stop seeking Him for the answer, but I can seek calmly because I know He has it.

It’s when I no longer feel suffocated by the impossible burden of striving to please God, because Christ has done that for me. I still live for His glory, but I find repose in the certainty that Jesus will complete the sanctification process He started in me.




This post is part of 31 Days of Five-Minute Free Writes, an exercise in writing a timed, prompted post every day during the month of October. For me, it's a challenge to move beyond prideful perfectionism, to write more freely, and to share more openly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment